Monday, May 20, 2013

"Meet Me Monday:" Riley's Story


 
Riley (@RileyDevilDog) is a twitter pal originally from Colorado. She says her story is “dull” because her mom “just went to the shelter and got me,” but Riley is anything but dull. I may be a little biased in telling Riley’s story because I think she is pawsome! Riley is a good friend and helps to make sure pals are dressed up properly whether it is for birthdays, holidays, or #wigitupWednesday events like Pet Cancer Awareness, or even just for TV watching fun, like for Grimm. Riley was very kind to share her story of adoption/rescue. There are lots of amazing parts to Riley’s story – enjoy!

 
Riley is a 12 year-old, spayed female, dobie-mix (Doberman). Her fur color is black with brown markings and a patch of white on her chest. Riley’s mom got Riley at age 8 weeks old from the “Dumb Friends League” in Denver. This is the same place that Riley’s older brother, Tucker (R.I.P.), and her current sister, Sugar, were adopted.

(Riley with Tucker)

So how did Riley end up at the shelter? As Riley tells us, “According to the shelter, stupid humans owned a Doberman they were breeding, but they also let it run loose. It had a litter and they must’ve thought we were purebred as they docked our tails. Once they figured out we weren’t purebred they dumped us in the yard to die. A neighbor brought me and my litter mates to the shelter.” Thank goodness for that neighbor to save Riley and her litter mates!

(Sugar and Riley)
 
Riley currently lives in Maine with her mom and fursis, Sugar, who is about 9 years-old. Sugar was supposed to be an Australian shepherd mix, but Riley says, “It’s doubtful,” and that Sugar is probably a “lab/chow mix and some other stuff,” and Sugar “has a spotted tongue.” Riley was her mom’s first experience training a puppy and Riley says, “I only had to be potty trained which I learned super fast. Mom never had a puppy before so it was pretty lucky that what she did worked.” Sounds like Riley’s mom is super smart!

 
So I asked Riley what her likes were and she said, “Toys, treats, car rides, I said toys, right? I like them a lot. Sometimes I bring them on walks. Plus anything that involves Mom, or trips to the beach. Barking at the squirrels in the trees is especially fun. If it bugs Mom it’s a bonus.”

 
Speaking of bugging Mom, Riley is famous for staring. “I’m famous for staring! I stare at Mom a lot for all different reasons, and any other human that crosses my path, if I’m in the mood.” Anyone who really gets to know Riley realizes that, “I’m a total goof ball. I always look serious in pics – and at the vet! - but I’m really a nut!” Hmm, wonder where the “devil dog” came from?! Bol!


Riley dislikes the vet, as she says, “Big time! Though I’m super well behaved with the humans there. They think I’m a saint. As if! I didn’t use to hate them, but I got super sick (with hemolytic anemia) a few years ago and nearly died. I had to get blood tests 6 days a week after getting out of the hospital, and it took 6 months before I was completely healthy and tons of vet visits, so I didn’t like going anymore.” Must have been very stressful on you and mom. I am very grateful you survived!


Riley finds it annoying when she does not get her way and dislikes it when her mom leaves her at home. Riley says she does not like to cuddle when she is awake. Riley adds that, “I always wanted to be in charge from the day she (mom) brought me home.”

 
I asked Riley how she and her mom saved each other, and Riley said, “I was saved because I was in a kill shelter. At 3 my brother Tucker died from leukemia. Mom and I had to take care of each other. We were both very sad and missed him desperately. He was only 6, so I think we both saved each other emotionally then.”

 
So another interesting tidbit about Riley is that she was not the original pup her mom and Tucker had met. “When Mom picked me up at the shelter after I was spayed she realized I was a different puppy than the one she and Tucker had met. That puppy had clear nails while mine were back. Instead of taking me back in and saying they gave her the wrong puppy, she kept me. She figured it was meant to be.” Isn’t that just wonderful how things worked out?!


I am so grateful to Riley for sharing her story! Riley’s life has been saved several times. Who says cats are the only ones with “nine lives?!” Bol! Many thanks to Riley for being a feature “Meet Me Monday” on my blog. Please leave a comment for Riley below. If you would like to share your story, please email me at abbydawgblog@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Riley is such a pretty girl and awesome pup. Thanks for sharing her story Abby, I learned a lot about her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Abs!! And love hearing Riley's story. Have heard pieces since we met her but this was great!! Juneau & Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me love Riley!!! She's Pawsome & also just a tad naughty like yours truly ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Riley, and her furmom! I met them both when Baxter was at the vet. Amazing people and pets! I'm so glad I got to meet them in person :)

    ReplyDelete